Subscribe to Legacy systems
- Be honest, how many times have you filled in a spreadsheet this week? A quick search on a well-known jobs site found me 1406 jobs matching ‘data entry’ and that’s before we include titles like finance or credit controllers, accounts payable and everything related to stock control. And don’t even get me started about the print and re-type rubber bands holding our NHS together.
- Artificial Intelligence provides huge opportunities for government to deliver more for less through increased productivity and to improve the lives of citizens. The government understands its importance – AI and Data was named as one of the four ‘Grand Challenges’ in the Industrial Strategy White Paper.
- Robotic Process Automation (RPA) seems to be riding a crest of a wave at the moment — everyone’s talking about it in digital transformation. But is it the silver bullet it’s made out to be, and how does it work with Digital Process Automation (DPA)? To RPA, or not RPA? RPA is predominantly screen scraping technology. It’s good for repetitive tasks, quick fixes, plugging gaps and integrating legacy systems with modern applications.
- Last time we looked at how you can take a bottom-up approach with Digital Process Automation (DPA) to control your legacy systems.
- A big challenge public sector bodies face when it comes to digital transformation is the ambivalence to changing legacy systems; ‘what's the need to replace existing systems?’ some say. Government departments have done well in changing the front-end services citizens use, but not tackling legacy back-end systems will lead to problems over time.