Data Innovation In Government
The opportunities and challenges for data informed innovation in government
The public sector administers some of the largest and most sensitive datasets in existence, covering nearly every aspect of national life from health and education to business, taxation, crime, the environment and beyond. Rapid technological advances are increasing the opportunities to exploit this data, with a view to developing more targeted and effective government services, as well as to increase transparency and openness.
This briefing paper summarises the opportunities and challenges for data innovation in government, with the approaches and technology solutions that public servants are exploring.
Key points addressed in this report are:
- Opportunities to innovate with data
- Data ethics: the unique responsibilities of government
- Talking to the public about data
- The availability and quality of data
- Data management and governance
- Data in the cloud
- Towards a data-centric culture