Department for Business, Energy & Industrial Strategy
- New records management platform
- Enabled 3,600 staff to work flexibly
- Cloud-based infrastructure allowed secure collaboration with partners
Department for Business, Energy & Industrial Strategy (BEIS) replaced the Department for Business, Innovation and Skills (BIS) and the Department of Energy and Climate Change (DECC) in July 2016.
Given BEIS’ strong links with agency partners, most of its work involves external collaboration. In order to shape and lay out its policies, the department must, at all times, share information regarding - amongst other things - student loans, innovation grants with the UK public in a secure way.
BEIS undertook a complex process of migrating large swathes of data across all of its core departments (including UK Trade and Investment, The Office of Man Power Economics, the Low Pay Commission and the UK Space Agency) from an aging Electronic Documents and Records Management (EDRM) platform onto Zaizi’s EDRM as a service, via G-Cloud.
The transfer, which involved moving over 4.6TB (14 million items) to the new platform enabled BIS to move to a more flexible ICT enabled workstyle, transforming how and when its staff work and collaborate.
- No central storage facility – 50% of the department used Matrix and 50% used 70 shared drives, based on a decade-old departmental structure
- Information on shared drives was not reviewed or treated as records with no clear owners
- No difference between outdated and current information
- Limited search functions, meaning extraction of useful and meaningful results was difficult. This also provided serious concerns for BEIS when dealing with freedom of information requests, subject access requests and enquiries
- Limited research functionality meant extracting meaningful information was difficult
- Moved to a flexible cloud-based IT landscape
- Better information management provided seamless records management and placed greater emphasis on collaboration and knowledge management.
- New platform had documents and folders subject to retention periods and managed by departmental records officer
- Easier to change and update properties and clarity on what was a working document and what was a declared record.
- Flexible working capability as documents are accessible remotely from mobile devices
Julia Harwood, Chief Innovation Officer at BEIS, shares her thoughts on the clear benefits the new system has brought to the department.